Shoe Care Guide
SHOE CARE GUIDE
- Weatherproofing- Your Matsidiso shoes were weather-treated before being sent from our factory in Cape Town. However, to maintain longevity and get the most out of your new leather shoes, we suggest also using a leather protector spray from the Meltonian, Plush or Kiwi shoe care range that can be found at Woodheads. These can be applied every couple of months to ensure that the elements don't wear on your shoes too much. For the handpainted/ canvas shoes, we pre-treat them with a scotch spray. We recommend purchasing a scotching spray and treating your handpainted shoes once every 2 months to ensure they are weather resistant.
- Shoe Trees- Cedar trees help prevent the leather from drying out and the outsole (both leather & rubber) from deteriorating.
- Wet Shoes - Please note that because your soles are made of leather, they should not be subject to water as leather soles can swell or come apart if they get too wet. In the event that your shoes do get wet, towel dry any water that you can right away. Then stuff the inside of your shoes with newspaper or a towel to pull the moisture from the inside. Let your Matsidiso Shoes dry slowly at room temperature. Follow up with leather cleaner and conditioner once dry.
- Clean + Condition- Use a soft-bristled brush or cotton cloth to wipe away dirt and scuffs. Apply a leather cleaner for smooth leathers. For suede and nubuck leathers, use Lincoln E-Z Cleaner and a nubuck brush.
- Polish- We suggest using cream polish for a matte finish on our smooth leather. Apply polish evenly using a cotton or flannel polishing cloth and allow to air dry. Remove any excess polish with a horsehair shoe brush.
- Re-soling- For increased longevity, apply rubber sole savers. If the rubber heel cap or leather on the soles wear down considerably, we will happily re-sole your shoes for a small fee if you live in South Africa (cost to deliver shoes and return if needed will be at the customer's cost). Otherwise, we suggest taking your shoes into a shoe repair to get them re-soled.